How I work as a Creativity Coach
As a life coach specializing in creativity coaching, I work with mature and committed creative people—writers, musicians, and artists—by helping them to expand their horizons. They are usually people who have a project clearly in mind; sometimes they are people who have unrealized or undeclared dreams or goals.
I ask powerful questions leading my clients to expand their minds and explore their own possibilities. I provide support, structure, accountability, and encouragement for my clients. I create a space within which they open up to new possibilities and creative innovation.
- For example a current writing client had a problem with plot development in her new novel. Together we mapped out possibilities that grew out of her knowledge of her characters. Once she could see ahead, she began to write with a confidence she had not felt before.
- Another writing client was working with a passage in which she referred to the titles of songs that her main character liked to listen to. We discussed how to expand this passage so that the reader would have an experience of how this character felt as the song was played. The result was a wonderful description of experiencing the music for the character and for the reader.
- In the case of a pianist, I was able to help him to minimize certain technical difficulties of the piece he was studying by getting him to realize that the difficulties were in effect lessened when the overall structure of the piece was more fully understood. Once he began to feel the power of the music in his fingers, all accompanying nervousness began to disappear.
- An artist client was in transition from a job in business to becoming a full-time artist. He was trying to set the stage for a smooth transition and was feeling blocked. One question I asked involved what he needed to move forward. He surprised himself by stating that he needed a larger studio space. This had not occurred to him before and opened up great possibilities for his new career.
“My work as a life coach specializing in creativity coaching has been a source of joy to me. It has opened up new avenues working with people whose needs have often been neglected in the past. My many years as a university professor and graduate advisor constantly informs my work as a creativity coach” John F. Clark, Ph.D. , C.E.C.
How will this work for you?
We begin our work together by creating a partnership between us.
- In our partnership, we will work to determine your artistic goals.
- In our partnership, we will develop a workable plan to reach those goals
- In our partnership, we will work to remove any roadblocks to success.
- In our partnership, we will work to create both the focus and the accountability needed to achieve the desired result.
- Then we will celebrate your success!